Frequently Asked Questions

1. Who do we serve?
We serve adult men and women who have a diagnosed mental illness. Woodley House is a private organization and all our residents, either privately-paying or those receiving publically-funded assistance, come to us on a voluntary basis.

2. Do people have to be a DC resident to enter Woodley House?
No, but you need to be a DC resident to receive funding assistance through the DC Department of Behavioral Health.

3. What services do you offer?
Woodley House is a mental health recovery program and provides housing and services for men and women in varying stages of recovery. We offer a range of housing from short-term crisis care to group homes to supported independent living apartments. (Please see “Residential Services” for more information.) We also offer clinical support services known as Life Skills Training or Mental Health Rehabilitative Services (MHRS), a Day Program and a Respite Care Program (the only one in the city) to give caregivers a short-term break. (Please see “Other Services” on the top menu for more information.)

4. How are your services paid for?
Fees for our services and housing can be paid either privately or with help from the publically-funded DC Department of Behavioral Health.

5. How long can a resident stay?
That depends on the program.

  • For Crossing Place, our crisis stabilization home, it is usually from 2-14 days.
  • Valenti House, our flag-ship home, typically has residents for 1-2 years.
  • Holly House, our longer-term group home, residents stay up to 2 years or more.
  • Our Supported Independent Living Apartment Program has residents in shared apartments for an extended period, with many staying for many years. Residents enter our programs voluntarily, so their stay depends on the mutual understanding and approval of both resident and Woodley House.

6. How do I apply?
The application process for Woodley House varies according to the program and whether the applicant is private or requires public funding assistance.

  • Crossing Place, our crisis stabilization home: You must first contact the DC Department of Behavioral Health Access Helpline (1-888-793-4357) for a psychiatric authorization to receive crisis care, after which you can request Crossing Place. (Please see Residential Care at the top of the home page and click Crossing Place for more information about entering Crossing Place.)
  • Valenti House & Holly House, our group homes:
    Applicants need to contact the program directly to determine needed documentation and set up initial interview. For Valenti House: call 202-830-3516. For Holly House: call 202-830-3512. (Please see ‘Residential Care’ at the top of the page and click Valenti House or Holly House for more specific information about the homes and applications.)
  • MHRS Clinical Support Services: For those who are not Woodley House residents, but wish to receive clinical support services, please contact Maria Paipa at 202-830-3526. For more detailed information, please see “Other Services” on the top menu.
  • Respite Care Program: Please contact Ed Barnett, Woodley House Residential Director at 202-830-3508. For more detailed information, please see “Other Services” on the top menu.

7. How long does it take to be admitted? What documentation is required?
The process can take a day or up to a few weeks, depending on completion of documentation and whether the potential resident is privately-paying or publically-funded.
Privately-paying residents need:

  • Proof of ability to pay,
  • Referral from a psychiatrist that includes a residential program like Woodley House in the applicant’s treatment plan
  • In-take interview.

Residents who require publically-funded assistance need:

  • Proof of DC residency
  • DC Department of Behavioral Health eCura number (proof of enrollment in DBH system)
  • Recommendation from Core Service Agency to enter Woodley House in treatment plan
  • Completion of paperwork required by DC Department of Behavioral Health and Core Service Agency
  • In-take interview